Bangalore-based technical writer, Farheen, tells us about Artificial Intelligence, and some of its latest use, in the popular column that’s back after a sabbatical. Follow Thursday Techguru, beginning this week, exclusively on Different Truths.
Sandford University defines Artificial Intelligence, “It is the science and engineering of making intelligent machines, especially intelligent computer programs. It is related to the similar task of using computers to understand human intelligence, but AI does not have to confine itself to methods that are biologically observable.”
Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology was introduced, in 1930, in ancient Egypt, but with the development of the electronic computer, in 1941, the technology was finalised for creating machine intelligence. The term Artificial Intelligence was first coined in 1956, at the Dartmouth conference, and since then Artificial Intelligence has spread lengths and breadths because of its benefits.
AI-based hardware was tested by the military for war during Desert Storm. AI-based technologies were used in heads-up-displays, missile systems, and other advancements. AI has also made its entry into the home. Applications for the Apple Macintosh and IBM-compatible computers, such as voice and character recognition have become available. With a greater demand for AI-related technology, new developments are becoming available. Unavoidably, Artificial Intelligence has and will continue to affect our lives in the future.
In simple words, Artificial Intelligence is the result of endeavors to develop computer-based systems that can:
- Behave like humans
- Emulate human thinking
- Learn languages
- Use a perceptual equipment
- Carry out physical tasks
The advantages of Artificial Intelligence are:
- It can help improve our way of life
- Machines will be able to do tasks that require detailed instructions
- Mental agility and decision making capabilities
- Use robots for heavy construction, military benefits, or even for personal assistance at our homes
- Instances of fewer injuries and stress to human beings
- Many of the current health problems now have answers, with the use of Artificial Intelligence at universities
Artificial Intelligence has successfully been used in a wide range of fields:
- Medical Diagnosis
- Stock Trading
- Robot Control
- Scientific Discovery
- Video Games and Toys
- Web Search Engines
One of the fields that use Artificial Intelligence is video games and toys. It is a programming area that tries to make the computer act almost as a clone to human intelligence.
You can understand how AI has been used in the following list.
- Anki Cozmo: The camera-equipped toy can recognise its owner’s face, and even say his or her name.
- Asus Zenbo: This cute-looking bot can be an obedient assistant at home, it can emote, learn and conform to your preferences with proactive artificial intelligence.
- Amazon Echo: The company’s Alexa software enables users to chat with its internet-connected speaker, requesting news updates and even book a cab.
- Fetch Robotics: These bots surveil warehouse workers as they pick the item from shelves, then help carry inventory to act as substitutes for human workers.
- Google Home: Google Home is a voice-activated speaker. Throw up questions at Google Home, give it requests, and even plan your future, including setting alarms, and informing you about the traffic when you head out on road.
- Microsoft HoloLens: Microsoft’s intelligent eyewear can comprehend its wearer’s physical surroundings, allowing them to view apps and games as 3-D holograms.
- Nest Cam Outdoors: This security camera can distinguish between humans and animals to reduce false alarms. You can even receive a phone alert if your nest Cam believes that somebody is sneaking around.
- Sphero BB-8: This is the app-enabled Droid, with an adjustive personality that changes as you play. This bot will show a range of expressions and even become happy when you provide voice commands.
- Softbank Pepper: This Japanese robot can understand human speech and body language, it is in the testing phase as a customer service assistant in retail stores.
Photos and videos from the internet.
#TechGuru #ArtificialIntelligence #Robotics #NewWorld #Technology #Science #DifferentTruths
Latest posts by Farheen Viquas (see all)
- Technologies Help us See a Better Tomorrow - September 21, 2017
- Technology Translating into Virtuality and Reality - September 14, 2017
- Technology: Pain, Sweat, Blood and Body Heat - September 7, 2017