Until last year, summer breaks were fun and frolic for my son. This year, he has changed a lot. He gets bored very quickly. Prefers to stay alone, speaks very less, he will turn 11-year-old very soon. My husband scared me, saying these are the signs of pre-teen – tough days are yet to come. His Dad’s witty comment raised my anxiety. For me, summer is all the fun. I dream all the fun things that or we are going to do what we have been doing together. Sheer anxiety disturbed my daydreams. I told myself that I need to be careful, to be honest, a bit unsure if I would be able to manage this phase successfully? I needed to be cautious, calm and positive.
Before a complete meltdown, I decided to plan properly. Morning, we started our day with cycling, then swimming, playing with gazettes, bit studies and reading, storybooks are his favourite past time, thankfully. Travelling is also there on the calendar.
Play dates are messy but very interesting, and cooking and baking together are always fun. This year for the first time he also joined decoding/critical thinking classes too, and he is enjoying it.
Kulfi is very popular in our home so, the other day we prepared Malai Kulfi together. Though I did most of it, but still I call it a teamwork.
Here’s the recipe:
- Milk1 litre, full fat
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Cardamom (elaichi) 4pieces
- Cashew nuts (kaju)8 pieces
- Powdered sugar1/4 cup (you may add more)
- Pistachio (pista)10 pieces
- In a pan heat the milk.
- Let the milk simmer, stirring occasionally to avoid sticking to the pan.
- Continue, until it is reduced to half.
- Add sugar, pistachio (pista), cashew nuts, cardamom powder, and mix well.
- Let the milk get simmer on medium flame until it is reduced to a quarter of original quantity and add the cream.
- Once the milk is reduced, the kulfi is ready. Let kulfi cools down completely.
- Pour the mixture into kulfi moulds or small earthen pot or shot glass.
- Place the moulds in the deep freezer section of the refrigerator.
- And set for about 7 hours. I usually keep it for overnight.
- Malai kulfi is ready to serve. Just unmold it.
- Garnish with some chopped nuts.
- And enjoy chilled kulfi with family and friends!
Photos by the author.
#FridayFoodie #SummerTreat #Kulfi #MalaiKulfi #Tastysweet #Dessert #DifferentTruths
Latest posts by Sarika Sarkar Das (see all)
- No Independence Celebrations Day in Assam: Are we Truly Liberated? - August 15, 2017
- Healthy and Wholesome Mutton Dopyaja - August 11, 2017
- Lotus Eaters: Delicious Honey ChilliLotus Stem - July 28, 2017